William Stuffin (1768-1851)
William Stuffin was born in Wellingore in 1768 but was living in Hough parish by 1794 when he married Rebecca Lufton, also from the parish. They lived in Gelston and had two sons, William (born 1798) and John (born 1802).
In 1841 William and Rebecca (both 70) and John (now 35) were farming in Gelston. Rebecca died in 1845; William stayed with John until he (William) died in 1851. John then lived alone in Gelston until his death in 1875.
William Stuffin (1798-1877)
Meanwhile, in Feb 1832 the elder son William married Alice Gee (born Bunny, Notts). When their first son (also William) was christened in Hough in Apr 1832 they were living in Brandon and William was described as a labourer. Their daughter Sarah was born in 1835, followed by another son Mitchell in 1839, by which time he was a farmer. William continued to farm in Brandon until he died in 1877 (Alice died in 1865). William was listed as the tenant at Church Farm, Brandon in 1850 and we assume that he was there from the 1830s to 1877.
William (born 1832) lived with his parents in Brandon until he married in 1859 and moved to Maplebeck, Notts with his wife, Emma Freestone from Temple Hill. When he died (age 39) in 1871 they were living in Dry Doddington with their children Evalina (born 1862) and William Freestone Stuffin (born 1866). In 1881 Emma and her children were living her parents, William & Zilpha Freestone, in Brandon (probably at Church Lane Farm) although on the day of the census she was visiting her widowed brother in law Mitchell at Carlton Scroop. In 1891 Evalina and her brother William F. were farming together at Roewood Farm in Winkburn, near Newark. In 1892 Evalina married John Wagstaff and moved to Nottingham. In 1901 Emma was living with them. She died in 1907 and was buried with her husband William at Hough. Their children William F. and Evelina both remained in Nottinghamshire.
Sarah (born 1835) was in Brandon in 1851 but we’ve not yet found what happened to her.
Mitchell (born 1839) married Eliza Rawding (born Brant Broughton) in 1858. They had 2 children (Beatrice and John Mitchell) and lived with his parents at Church Farm, Brandon until his father died. They then moved to Carlton Scroop where he farmed 150 acres, but Eliza died in 1880 and Mitchell died the following year.