Loveden area of Lincolnshire – Local History & Information

Brandon Chapel of Ease

St John the Evangelist is a Chapel of Ease, in the middle of Brandon, Lincolnshire.  A chapel of ease historically existed where a parish is widespread with more than one settlement.  It allows parishioners to attend church without the hardship of a long walk there and back.    All the normal church services can be held, although weddings need a special licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The Grade II* building has features from the 12th, 14th and 15th centuries.  Earl Brownlow had it restored in 1872.  The stone lead-lined font and carved doorway are early 12th century.  Other original Norman parts include the very thick, leaning south wall.  Some of the windows are 15th century.  The porch, bell turret, tiled floor, pews and roof are Victorian.

The two bells are rung to announce the monthly service, which is held at  9am of the 3rd Sunday of very month.  The main church for the Parish is at Hough on the Hill.  The Parish is in the South Cliff Villages Group of Parishes, part of Loveden Deanery in the Diocese of Lincoln.