From the 1840s to the 1870s we think Church Farm was occupied by William Stuffin. From 1882 to the 1920s it was run by Charles and then Thomas Theaker. Then F H Ransome in the early 1930s and from 1937 to the 1950s by Jack Hart.
The 12 council houses were built in 1951. With hot and cold running water and a bathroom, they were much better equipped than most farm cottages, although the rents were higher.
The houses had large gardens both front and rear and most residents kept vegetables at the back. The front gardens were later reduced to about half the original length.
The cottage on the Southern edge of the village was probably built in the 19th century by the Belton estate. It once featured the Brownlow Crest, but this was later moved to Gorse Lodge.
One source believes it was a school, but there’s no documentary evidence for this. By the 1950s it was owned by the Burtt’s and rented to farm workers as a tied cottage. For many years it was occupied by the Blundy family and generally known as Blundy’s Cottage.
It was later named Nightingale Cottage after the birds that frequented the adjacent coppice.